CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Green Tomato Salsa Verde

Recipe from http://mormonfoodstorage.blogspot.com "The Pantry Panel"

3 green tomatoes
4 ounces diced green chiles, canned
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Peel and seed green tomatoes. Place green tomatoes in a pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook about 15 minutes until the tomatoes turn light green. Drain well. Place in a blender with the onion, lime juice, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Puree to desired consistency and chill.

Notes: If you are lazy and the salsa is for family consumption, you can try making it without peeling the tomatoes first. The peels were bothersome in the frozen salsa, but I don't notice it in the canned.

Easy on the blender pulse button. This recipe is easy to overblend.

You don't have to be super scientific with the ingredient amounts. It still tastes good.

You can use fresh green chiles instead of canned. I just haven't figured out how to peel green chiles quickly (when I tried the heat-them-in-the-oven-in-a-paper-bag idea, I couldn't get it to work), and I haven't grown a lot of them before, and the cans are cheap at case lot sales.

Canning note: I researched this heavily last fall to try to figure out some canning guidelines. Everything I read said that green tomatoes are more acidic than ripe tomatoes. That fact, plus the lime juice in this recipe, makes me confident to follow the canning instructions for regular red tomato salsa when canning this recipe of salsa verde.

1 comment:

Sara R said...

I'm glad you tried the recipe! Did it turn out well?

Sara R at The Pantry Panel