Makes 2 loaves
2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees F)
2 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoon salt
6 whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (replace 3 tablespoons of the flour called for in the recipe with this)
1/3 cup flax seed
1. Pre-measure all of your flour in a separate bowl. Combine water, sugar, honey and yeast. Add enough flour to make a pancake batter consistency. Sprinkle just enough flour on top, then sprinkle salt on top of this. Loosely cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit and rest until you can see cracks form across the top layer (looks like the desert).
2. Add remaining ingredients and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes (can do all kneading with electric mixer). Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
3. Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening.
5. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm! Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight bag or frozen until needed.